Friday, August 20, 2010

Slides are for going down not up

That's always really been the rules of the playground. Right? you go down the slide run to the back wait in line, if your naughty cut in line, climb up the ladder and go down again. then you always have some rule breakers who run full speed like their life depends on it up the slide. That child almost always seems to be my child. the one running for their life up the slide. So here I come waddling my fat ass on stubby legs, usually sweating, and say in my nicest voice, "we go down the slide not up the slide". then I usually get a blank stare. HELLO? I want to yell at them "did you not hear me? get off the damn slide now!" but I resist with all of my being. "you need to go down so everyone can have a turn" I coach "come on now" This is almost always followed up with a big pouty lip and a grunt and a grudgingly slide down. At this point I turn around to see perfect mothers in their size 4 gap jeans watching their perfect children waiting patently at the top of the slide. They smile at me, but wouldn't even make eye contact. What the hell? like my kid just pooed on the slide or something. it wasn't that bad. he ran up the slide. I feel like putting on my best snob face and letting one of the mother know that her other daughter is very busy shoving her finger up her nose in hopes of pulling out the "big one" just to pop it into her mouth. yummy. But of course I don’t, kids are kids. and kids are fun, and kids are boogey, and kids are sweaty and kids are germy, and kids are innocent, and kids are sweet, and loving, and FUN! I think as parents we are sooo worried about what our children look like to other people. I am so guilty of this. I constantly am correcting my children then turning to the nearest persona and apologizing for whatever action seemed so bad at the time. But they are just kids. we need to let our children be children sometimes. "Yes" I will say to my kids "Run up that slide, cause if you don't an alligator might eat your toes! But wait until no one is waiting at the top." kids need the gentle correction with lots of opportunity to have fun being kids. All to soon kids will grow up and need to get jobs and pay bills, and ewe be adults. If we don't let kids get the childhood fun they need then when they are in their thirties they are going to revert to being a child and try to justify it by saying I didn't have much of a childhood growing up, it's my time. and they are going to leave their wife and kids in the dust. maybe we can totally eliminate mid-life crisis if we give our kids some room. Maybe I’ll try it. give my kids some time and chances to fall and get hurt and have lots of FUN!

No comments: