Monday, January 31, 2011

We are family!

“We are a family” is what I hear myself saying a lot lately. Like when my eleven year old yells at my four year old, for sitting next to him on the couch. I know, I know, it’s sibling stuff, normal, right? But I hate it. If we teach our children to be kind and respectful to complete strangers, then why don’t we teach kindness and patience on our home? I am so guilty of being the mom that yells from across the playground “stop putting sand in your sisters underwear”!!! only to get the stink eye from the mom with only one perfect little child. I guess in a way I feel bad for that child. He can’t poor sand down anyone’s pants, and no one to poor it down his. How boring is that? My kids although they fight, they will always have someone to play with. Someone to poor sand down their pants. Someone to wipe boogers on. Someone to help you climb on top of the dresser to get the entire pack of wipes‘. Someone to snuggle with when you feel sad. My kids will always have that.
So when Aaron my 3 year old hits his sister who is 4, I tell him that we are all family, and we are always going to have each other. We will always need to be there for one another. So use your hands for being a helper not a hitter. And usually he will he will say sorry and rub her booboo. And then he will share his toys. I really try to drive home the fact that forever and ever they will need each other, so be kind and respectful to each other. And please don’t put sand in places it shouldn’t be. ♥ 

1 comment:

Richard J. Laurie said...

Like your sister, you were always a very funny girl. Sand in the pants, I'm glad you and Jazz didn't act like that. Love...
Me